About Carrollton Manor
Founded in 1931 as a vacation community, Severna Park’s Carrollton Manor remains beautiful and vibrant. Situated between Annapolis and Baltimore, Carrollton Manor features community beaches and piers along with proximity to shopping and great schools. The Community is maintained by our active residents, including participants in the Carrollton Manor Improvement Association.
Carrollton Manor was subdivided in 1931 and the 25 foot wide lots were sold as vacation properties. One of the first houses was a Mediterranean style house that still stands on Center Drive. Carrollton Manor slowly grew and remained a vacation community through the 40s and 50s, as did much of the Anne Arundel County shoreline between Annapolis and Baltimore. When the first bay bridge was built, vacationers had an easy route to the Eastern Shore and Ocean City. This event began the process of changing the shoreline communities of Anne Arundel County from vacation properties to year round residence.
Carrollton Manor Improvement Association (CMIA) was organized and incorporated in 1941. Read more about the history of CMIA.
In the 1970s, when the Carrollton Manor Land Company was dissolved the three beaches were deeded to the community association. Prior to this time, the main beach was unimproved except for a community boat ramp (constructed in the 1930s). A few years after the deed was transferred the pier was constructed. The original slip owners each contributed about $500 towards the construction, and were granted the exclusive use for a number of years. About 1980, the black iron gate was added to close the beach to non-residents. This gate was paid with equal contributions from CMIA and Mr. Calvin Gray, the original developer of Bluff Point subdivision, which abuts the community beach. Around the same time, the retaining wall was installed to provide a parking area.
CMIA operated with very limited funds until the passage of the Special Community Benefits District (SCBD) in 1996. SCBD allows the county to collect dues from all property owners through a special assessment on their property tax bill. Currently there are about 500 homes and a dozen commercial properties within the boundaries of CMIA.